A dental implant is a man-made tooth root that is implanted into your jaw to support a prosthetic tooth or bridge. Most people, however, use "dental implants" to refer to the combination of the implant and the prosthetic tooth. Dental implants may be an option for patients who have lost one or more teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or another cause and do not want to use dentures. Next Level Dental, P.C. in Smyrna, TN can assist you in making the right selection regarding dental implants.
Types of Dental Implants
The most common form of implant is endosteal (in the bone). Screws, cylinders, or blades that are surgically placed into the jawbone can be used. One or more replacement teeth are housed in each implant. Patients who are currently wearing bridges or removable dentures may benefit from this type of implant.
This type of implant is put on top of the jaw and is held in place by metal framework posts that protrude through the gum. Subperiosteal implants are typically utilized for patients who are unable to wear conventional dentures and lack sufficient bone height to support an endosteal implant.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Implants work similarly to natural teeth, allowing you to effectively chew and communicate.
- Designed to seem like your real teeth, they boost your confidence.
- By providing independent support, you can reduce the stress on your remaining natural teeth.
- Assist in the prevention of jaw height decline.
- Simple to clean and maintain.
- Implants have a longer lifespan than dental bridges and dentures.
Dental Implant Procedure
A dental implant is often installed in stages over a few months, with a succession of small operations and examinations.
- First, scans and x-rays are taken to provide the dentist with a clear picture of where to place the implant.
- You will typically be given an anesthetic so that you do not feel any pain during the procedure.
- The bone that surrounds the dental implant grows in a few months.
- Once the implant is secure, the dentist will lay the groundwork for the new tooth or teeth.
- Later, the dentist will take a mold of the mouth to create the fake tooth or teeth.
- Finally, the false tooth or teeth are screwed or cemented into place.
Next Level Dental, P.C is the best dental care provider to discover more about dental implants and their benefits. Call (615) 459-6354 or visit us at 693 President Pl #101 in Smyrna, TN 37167 to schedule an appointment.